It's natural to have a strong emotional reaction to a toxic person or event. Unfortunately, what often happens is the strength of the emotion attached to the person or the event creates energetic ties that grow stronger every time you revisit how you feel. This can (and often does) become a series of looping thoughts that keep us energetically connected to the toxicity. And the more energy we give to that person or event, the more deeply ingrained the toxic energetic pattern grown in us. We create energetic ties that can be harmful to us.
I'm not suggesting you don't react emotionally to painful events, toxic people, negativity, or betrayals. You're not robots - you feel how you feel. It's natural and even beneficial to experience a range of emotions in relation to negative events or people. Allow yourself to feel them fully.
However, when you keep revisiting these emotions weeks or months after the relationship or event has ended, you are building energetic ties to negativity. For your own self preservation, it's important to detach yourself from that energy just as soon as is humanly possible.
So how does one detach from these negative feelings?
- Allow yourself in the first few days to fully experience all emotions that arise. Don't try to stop them. Be in the moment and experience how you feel without making yourself wrong for doing so. You are allowed to feel how you feel.
- If you notice that, after a time, you experience events, thoughts, and emotions regularly related to the person or situation, realize you are creating a negative energetic pattern which doesn't serve you.
- Pay attention and notice every time this person or situation comes up in your mind. Notice how it affects you, and then work to consciously change your thought pattern.
- Close your eyes and visualize the person or situation. See the energy stretching between the two of you, connecting you. Now, visualize yourself using scissors, a knife, a sword, a machete, or any other tool and cutting every single one of those energetic strands.
- After you've cut the energy, imagine a shower of white light coming down from above you and showering you in healing energy. Feel the light and energy flowing throughout your being until you feel calmed and refreshed.
- Now here's the hard part. Imagine the other person or the event. Shower the person or event with the same white light, perhaps affirming, "I wish you love," "I release you," or, "I wish you peace." You probably won't actually wish them love to start - I get that. So fake it 'til you make it. Eventually, you'll mean it. If it's a toxic person, it often helps to imagine them as they were when they were a young child or a baby, or visualize their higher spiritual selves instead of how they are currently embodied.