You can purchase pre-designed layouts that contain an outline and tell you which stones to use (kind of like a paint-by-numbers with crystals), or you can design your own for a specific purpose. Your best guide is intuition; however, if you'd like some guidance, use the following steps when creating your own grid:
- Cleanse all crystals you plan to use before laying out the grid.
- For each stone in the grid, hold it in your hand and visualize its purpose. This programs your intent for each stone into the crystal.
- Choose a shape for your grid. I have a list of simple grid shapes in Crystals for Beginners, or you can look up the meanings of various shapes in sacred geometry. Choosing a specific geometric design can help you increase the power of your grid's intention.
- Choose your stones. The chart above shows how the layout of the stones affects the "work" they do within the grid. The center stone is your focus stone. This is your main intention. You can have more than one stone here, if you wish. Stones that go around the outside of the focus stone amplify the energies. Stones around the outside perimeter of the grid direct energy, so using points is a good call here since you can point the energy in the direction you'd like it to go. They can also contain energy if you'd like to keep it very specifically in a certain area.
- Leave your grid in place for a few days before you re-cleanse and re-place the stones.