In traditional feng shui, the prosperity and wealth corner is the southeast corner of your home (from approximately 115 degrees to about 157.5 degrees on a compass) in your home, workspace, or any room. In western feng shui, the wealth corner is the back left corner of the home, workspace, or any room.
In my house, I use Western feng shui, so my prosperity corner is in the closet of my bedroom. In my living room, however, the back left corner (from the entrance into the living room) happens to also be the southeast corner, so it is here that I set up my primary wealth corner since it meets the criteria for both traditional and western feng shui and has the bonus of being the location in my house where I spend most of my waking time.
While I attend to my back corner closet in my bedroom with a citrine crystal, which is a crystal of prosperity, I have made my home's primary prosperity corner the southeast (also back left) corner of my living room because it also serves as a visual reminder of my intention for success and prosperity.
I'm still in the process of setting it up. Until recently, all I had there was a citrine crystal, but I decided I wanted to do more, so I've been adding elements. Right now, I have a healthy plant there, some wood elements, a giant citrine crystal, and Mirias, my goddess of abundance. I am also bringing in a jade plant (the feng shui money plant), a citrine money tree, and some Chinese coins tied with red string, all to symbolize abundance.
If you'd like to use the principles of feng shui to bring the energy of abundance and success into your life, then it's time to spruce up your wealth corner (note: in this case wealth means more than money; it's an abundance of all you choose in life - wealth, joy, happiness, peace, health, etc.).
- Decide whether you will organize your home according to the traditional or western bagua. If you're lucky like me, you can use both because the two correspond.
- Give the corner a good cleaning. The first thing you want to do is clean your area. Wash windows, clear away clutter, vacuum, patch any holes where the energy of abundance might leak out (including nail holes), and cleanse the energy of the area using sound, sage, palo santo, or your favorite energetic method. I use a combination of tingshas for sound energy, palo santo, and Reiki.
- Consider the color of the area. This corner is associated with the element of wood, so you'll want to bring in woodsy colors such as green or brown. You can also bring in the colors of water, which nourishes and feeds wood. Paint or bring in decor items in these colors.
- Bring in live plants (particularly the money plant jade), which support growth. Don't use fake plants or dead plants because you want to have the energy of growth, not stagnation.
- Try to bring as much light into the area as possible.
- Add a citrine crystal for abundance.
- If you have space for it, add a water feature such as a fountain or an aquarium with goldfish, which nourishes the growth of abundance.
- Then, choose either traditional symbols of abundance such as Chinese coins and money trees, add things you personally associate with prosperity or do as I do, and use a combination of both.
- Keep your plants alive and watered and the area cleaned up. Occasionally (about once a week to once a month) cleanse the energy.